When people ask me how I have done this work for so long, I usually tell them about all of the amazing kids I have met. Their laughter, playfulness, willingness to help, silliness, deep thoughts and strong opinions are all what keep me going in this work. And boy, did I feel the love last Sunday!
On Sunday, November 13, we welcomed 30 children and youth to church. Do you know how absolutely fantastic your kids are? You probably do, but you should hear it from me, too. These beautiful kids bring life and energy to our faith community. Here is what I observed and what was shared with me by teachers and congregants about last Sunday. What a lovely day we had…
- 3rd–5th graders speaking with fervor and depth on their opinions about right and wrong.
- Middle school youth feeling safe enough in their group to play group games and speak with depth on their opinions and beliefs.
- Our littlest ones smiling with recognition at their care provider and assuredly walking into their classroom.
- Visiting children recognizing the warmth of the volunteer teachers and quickly becoming part of the group.
- Young, exuberant elementary-aged children playing and squealing in the sanctuary after church…but also helping speedily put away chairs on their own volition.
As we think of what we have to be thankful for in our lives and in our faith community, let’s include in that list “energized abundance.” I love these kids. Our kids rock. Our volunteers rock. Cedars UU, what a great place to be!