Our talented and fun Director of Religious Education (DRE) is Candee Cole, one of the most experienced DREs in the Pacific Northwest District. Together with an active volunteer RE Committee, Candee designs an exciting and fun learning environment where children and teens can make friends, connect with caring adults and explore new ideas and styles of spirituality. We encourage children and teens to explore, question and develop their ideas, while modeling our Unitarian Universalist values and encouraging them to live the seven principles (see below) in their everyday lives.
On Sunday morning, we offer an infant/toddler program, a preschool for 3½–4½-year-olds and a K–8th grade-themed program and a senior youth group for 9th–12th grade. A senior youth group for 9th–12th grade meets at other times (see below). See our Winter/Spring 2013 Curriculum and Event Calendar Overview page for more details.
This year, our children/youth education theme is “World Religions.” Each age group will be exploring a variety of fascinating, edifying topics while participating in all manner of fun, age-appropriate activities (see our 2012–2013 Religious Education program-flyer (PDF) for details).
- Infant/Toddler: We’ll be hearing stories, singing songs and making marvelous crafty things with our skilled and caring teachers, Joan and Valerie (our paid childcare staff).
- Preschool (ages 3–5): We’ll be exploring emotions and feelings, like transforming anger and disappointment, being good friends and finding creative solutions, as well as exploring creation myths from myriad cultures.
- K–2nd grade (Adventurers): We’ll explore the celebrations of various religions, including Sukkot, Rosh Hashana, Hanuakkah and Pesach from Judaism; Divali, Dusshera and Holi from Hindism; Gantan-sai from Shintoism; Chinese New Year, Bodhi Day from Buddhism; and much more!
- 3rd–4th grade (Voyagers) & 10–13 year olds (Explorers): We’ll enjoy fun, exciting lessons on Judaism, Islam, Christianity, Taoism/Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Unitarian Universalism and Earth-based religions. We’ll learn from people who practice these religions, while we create, play, sing and experience exciting new foods!
- Middle School (6th–8th grade): We’ll meet monthly on Saturday or Sundays, visiting houses of worship for various faith traditions during monthly field trips. On non-youth group weeks, middle school will meet as part of the Explorers group. For a calendar of events and meeting times, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High School (9th–12th grade): We’ll meet 1st and 3rd Sundays, from 1:00–2:30, exploring topics based on the evolving interests of the group. Meeting times, places and events are TBD. First Sundays will mainly be held at the Poulsbo Library Community room and 3rd Sundays will be held at the BI Boys and Girls Club, beginning in October. For a calendar of events, email email@example.com.
Recent Religious Education Announcements
Preschool: Chalice Children Curriculum: Ages 3-5 join teacher Joan and her helpers in fun activities and art....Read More »
Join us for a Sunday service that will connect us all to winter celebrations from different faith traditions: Advent (various Christian), Las Posadas (Mexico/Catholic), Hanukkah (Jewish) and the Winter Solstice (earth-based religions).
The service will be filled...Read More »
Childcare available for Infants to age 10.
Please note, on December 23rd, the service will be led by Barbara’s sister, Brooksie. Some children may enjoy this service as there will be a lot of music and singing!
All children/youth are welcome....Read More »
Adventurers, Voyagers, and Explorers will learn about the winter celebration of Santa Lucia in class. Children will make costumes for the procession and will be led by one of our teens, dressed as Lucia into coffee hour...Read More »